ARTICLES & PUBLICATIONS
E-Book: Solutions to Cracking in Houses & Other Small Buildings
In 2012 we launched our first commercial publication: "Solutions to Cracking in Houses & Other Small Buildings". This is a practical book aimed at assisting forensic structural investigation aimed primarily at the lay reader. It may be of practical assistance or for use as a training manual.
A free download of selections and more information is available at the Solutions to Cracking in Houses & Other Small Buildings e-book website.
Articles by Patrick Irwin
- Finding the Right Expert—In building investigation matters and particularly in litigation, it is most important to have the right expert for your investigation. This article gives a brief summary of common areas of expertise and how they can assist. read article >
- Controlling the Cost of Your Experts—If you require forensic or expert services, typically your experts fees costs should be small in relation to the potential cost of the problem and provide value for money. This article gives some suggestions to help ensure this. read article >
- Reactive Foundation Movement: Causes & Responsibilities—Foundation movement is a common cause of building distress and disputation. Sometimes it is not clear what the causes are or who is responsible. This article attempts to set out common practice in design and construction with a view to party responsibility. read article >
- Protection Works—Problems and conflicts involving protection works (works required to protect one property from construction activity on an adjoining property) can be avoided if appropriate procedures are followed, works carried out and suitably confirmed. read article >
- Remedial Foundation Works: Solutions to Reactive Building Movement—Common remedial solutions to reactive building movement such as site work, building repair, foundation re-hydration, improving building articulation, grout injection, underpinning, structural ties and masonry reinforcing. read article >
Publications by Patrick Irwin
- Business of Practice 14 publication series, ACSEV News 2002 & 2003
- Sustainability, Architecture Victoria, Nov, 2008 & BDPS News, April, 2009
- Expert's Corner, Protection Works, BDPS News, June, 2009
- Remedial Solutions to Reactive Building Movement, BDPS News, July, 2010.
- Soil and Buildings - Grounds for Dispute, presentation, BDPS discussion evening September 2010.
- Electronic Document Exchange (with John Browning), BDPS News, October, 2011.